Argentina: "Mining Dollar" new incorporations – lithium and other minerals

Resolution No. 163/23

In brief

From 18 October 2023, by means of Resolution No. 163/23 of the Secretariat of Mining ("Resolution"), lithium, borates, lime and other minerals were included, allowing exports of such minerals to be settled at a preferential exchange rate, resulting from settling 75% of such exports through the Foreign Exchange Market and the remaining 25% through blue chip transactions.

To be eligible for this type of rate, among other requirements, exports must have a settlement date between 2 October 2023 and 20 October 2023 inclusive, as well as pre-financing and/or post-financing of exports abroad or a settlement advance, and the actual export must be made by 31 December 2023 at the latest.

The Resolution adds strategic minerals to those already recognized by recent Joint Resolution 1/2023 of 10 October. Further information regarding Joint Resolution 1/2023 can be found here.

However, the Resolution may be further clarified with respect to exports settled prior to its entry into force (between the 2nd and 18th of 2023).


In focus

Decree No. 576/2022 ("Decree 576") created the Export Increase Program ("Program"), which was extended until 25 October 2023 by Decree No. 492/2023 ("Decree 492") of 30 September 2023. Likewise, Decree 492 enabled the Mining Secretariat, among other secretariats, to incorporate into the Program, on an extraordinary and transitory basis, tariff positions of the Common Nomenclature of the Mercosur.

Effective as from 18 October 2023, the Resolution extended the Program to lithium, borates, lime, orthoboric acid, precious stones, crude silver, dolomite and certain derivatives and concentrates of some of them ("Minerals"), as indicated in Decree 492. Thus, exporters of Minerals will be able to access a preferential exchange rate in the settlement of their exports (75% of the exports must enter the country and be traded through the Foreign Exchange Market, while the remaining 25% can be traded through securities — "contado con liquidación" mechanism), if they comply with the following guidelines:

  1. To adhere to the Program in accordance with the mechanism set forth in Decree 576
  2. Export settlement is made between 2 October 2023 and 20 October 2023 inclusive, to the extent that the effective export date of such exports is no later than 31 December 2023 inclusive
  3. In the event of pre-financing and/or post-financing of exports abroad or a settlement advance, not only fulfil point (i) and (ii) but also requires that the effective export date of such exports not to be later than 31 December 2023.

Spanish version

Copyright © 2023 Baker McKenzie. All rights reserved. Ownership: This site (Site) including all documentation and content (Content) is a Copyright © 2022 Baker & McKenzie. All rights reserved. Ownership: This documentation and content (Content) is a proprietary resource owned exclusively by Baker McKenzie (meaning Baker & McKenzie International and its member firms). The Content is protected under international copyright conventions. Use of this Content does not of itself create a contractual relationship, nor any attorney/client relationship, between Baker McKenzie and any person. Non-reliance and exclusion: All Content is for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal and regulatory developments. All summaries of the laws, regulations and practice are subject to change. The Content is not offered as legal or professional advice for any specific matter. It is not intended to be a substitute for reference to (and compliance with) the detailed provisions of applicable laws, rules, regulations or forms. Legal advice should always be sought before taking any action or refraining from taking any action based on any Content. Baker McKenzie and the editors and the contributing authors do not guarantee the accuracy of the Content and expressly disclaim any and all liability to any person in respect of the consequences of anything done or permitted to be done or omitted to be done wholly or partly in reliance upon the whole or any part of the Content. The Content may contain links to external websites and external websites may link to the Content. Baker McKenzie is not responsible for the content or operation of any such external sites and disclaims all liability, howsoever occurring, in respect of the content or operation of any such external websites. Attorney Advertising: This Content may qualify as “Attorney Advertising” requiring notice in some jurisdictions. To the extent that this Content may qualify as Attorney Advertising, PRIOR RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE A SIMILAR OUTCOME. Reproduction: Reproduction of reasonable portions of the Content is permitted provided that (i) such reproductions are made available free of charge and for non-commercial purposes, (ii) such reproductions are properly attributed to Baker McKenzie, (iii) the portion of the Content being reproduced is not altered or made available in a manner that modifies the Content or presents the Content being reproduced in a false light and (iv) notice is made to the disclaimers included on the Content. The permission to re-copy does not allow for incorporation of any substantial portion of the Content in any work or publication, whether in hard copy, electronic or any other form or for commercial purposes.