We have reviewed the new regime so that importers and marketers of industrial products will face less uncertainty in importing manufactured industrial products into and selling them in Peru.
Clarifications, applicability and violations
The new regulation clarifies the scope and definitions of the technical regulations for manufactured industrial products, but mainly modifies its infraction and sanctions regime, and administrative measures to improve supervision by the Ministry of Production ("PRODUCE"). The provisions on labeling have not been amended.
Below is a summary of the key provisions:
- New definitions: Relevant concepts such as "import," "distribution," "test report," "supplier declaration of conformity," and "technical regulations" are introduced. Such definitions are important for identifying the new infringements regulated by PRODUCE.
- Applicability: The new regulation applies to all subjects linked to the technical regulations of manufactured industrial products, such as regulations on:
- Zinc and coal batteries
- High-pressure cylinders for gas
- Electrical conductors
- Biodegradable plastic bags
- Hydraulic cement
- Other regulations on manufactured industrial products (food, pharmaceutical and other products regulated by specific sectoral standards are excluded)
- New regime of violations and classification of sanctions:
- Administrative violations are specified. For example, importing, manufacturing and/or marketing manufactured industrial products for final use or consumption without complying with the requirements of their corresponding technical regulations (with the exception of labeling) are violations under the new regulation.
- Sanctions and penalties increased.
- Sanctions, both mild and severe, have been increased to a maximum of 493 or 494 tax units, respectively (they previously ranged from 1 to 50 tax units and 50 to 270, respectively).
- Monetary penalties have been increased to a maximum of 10% of the annual sales or gross income of the offender or their economic group (previously, mild and severe penalties were capped at 1% and 7%, respectively).
You can find the text of the Decree and its annex with the violations and penalties here.
We trust that this information will be useful to your company. If you require legal advice on this issue, do not hesitate to contact us.
* * * * *
Estudio Echecopar is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein with member law firms around the world. In accordance with the common terminology used in professional service organizations, reference to a "partner" means a person who is a partner or equivalent in such a law firm. Similarly, reference to an "office", means an office of any such law firm.
Before you send e-mail to Estudio Echecopar, please be aware that your communications with us through this message will not create a lawyer-client relationship with us. Do not send us any information that you or anyone else considers to be confidential or secret unless we have first agreed to be your lawyer in the matter. Any information you send us before we agree to be your lawyers cannot be protected from disclosure.
@2022 Estudio Echecopar
All rights reserved.
No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the written permission of Estudio Echecopar.